Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Class Workshop Project

On a clear night I decided to leave my far too familiar room. I tied up my boots, put on a new shirt, and pulled my favorite jacket tightly around myself. But when I got to the show, something cause my eyes to turn quickly away and stair at my weathered shoes. A boy with silent lips and screaming eyes made me dream of snowflakes and yarn. I wanted to hide myself along with my doubts and fears and just steal glances all night long. Too many opportunities to speak, far too many to count.

Every time he passed by my breaths became coarse and felt like pennies falling down my rib cage. The waves caused the echoes that played in tune with the butterflies in my stomach. They drummed on their rag doll cages like the slamming doors on a train. That’s where I wanted to be as the minutes packed their bags and left, on a train, away from the words sticking to the roof of my mouth, and the fears wrapped like a scarf around my throat. Where the old seats carried me past the people I watched for so long. Past the houses I’d never enter, and the stairs I was never to climb. Away from the boats I’d never sail, and the museums I’d never visit. Away from the imaginary worlds where I’ve lived in, and away from these eyes that hardly ever cry. But then the lights turned back on and a new band took the stages. And he still stood there lost in the hive with his back towards my eyes hiding behind a curtain.

I could even talk during the ride home. The car was filled far beyond capacity with kids squawking about the music, the set lists, and the bands. They pondered questions about the music. All the while, I could only as the question: How could I have been so cowardly? I could not even manage the courage to look in my window’s reflection’s eyes.When I had arrived home,

I waited to hear the car door shut before I could even look at the stars. I couldn’t find any of the constellations, so I opened a book and found a fraction of the known ones. More questions flooded my mind. Was I broken? Where my eyes that clouded from sorrow and uncertainties. I cleared my thought, rubbed my eyes, and shouted “Good Night”. I wasn’t sure to who it was for. The boy, the stars, all those doubting questions. It was for all of them. I was ready to head in side, but I turned and looked up again, to find a constellation of my own. I traced a leaf, falling from eyes that could hardly cry....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home