Wednesday, September 13, 2006

A Mornings Rest

I’m in the middle of a forest, it must be fall. The trees are vibrant in color and personality. I am walking on what use to be a dirt road, but now covered in the fallen leaves that the threshold of winter brings. The debris crunches below me as I walk. I don’t exactly know what I am doing here, but that is not important. Maybe this is where my mind dwells, maybe this is where I want to be. This place is obscenely tranquil. There are no chirping birds, no howling wind, however, just the deafening sound of pure silence, A an unharmed silence.
Cacophony. Fuck, my alarm. I spin over swiftly and frantically search for the snooze button. Finally, the screaming sound of that dreadful box is muted for a few delicate minutes. I flip back around, shut my eyes, and try to recapture my state of mind. It’s just not the same. It never is. My mind is now in shambles as I think about leaving this piece of heaven- my blanket, my pillow, my dreamland. My mind is now merely cluttered with all I have to accomplish today. The work I have to do calls me from the desk, and the thought of classes looms over my head.
More ringing. Fuck, my cell phone. All I am asking for is a few minutes of peace, and now I have all of today’s modern technology yelling at me to wake up. I flip open the phone, and it’s my ex-girlfriend. I’m thinking that I will hit ignore. My body merely drops back down to the pillow. I just want to lie here with no interruptions. Just me, my pillow, and my thoughts all crowded together on this mattress. The world, however, is too busy. I have deadlines to keep, things to be on time for, and work to accomplish.
Cacophony. Well, there it is: the last call. I open my eyes and squint towards the glare of the sun. I let my feet hang off the bed. They swing like a pendulum, back and forth. Finally, my feet hit the cold, hard ground. Another day gained, however, another pure moment lost.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home